Monday, March 08, 2010

What Happens in Portland...

I hope to have a real post up soon, but for now, I just wanted to alert readers that I am happily heading West, to Portland, OR to be specific. It's one of those places I've always been told I'd like, kind of like college when I was a teenager. (I distinctly remember hearing this more and more as I got closer to graduating high school - from parents' friends, from my quite senior co-workers at the craft store - as if they understood that I didn't like suburbia and suburbia didn't like me.)

Of course I'll be heading to Powell's, the bricks and mortar counterpart to the website we always use for our "now reading" titles. But where else?
If anyone has any great suggestions for bookstores or other literary sites in the Portland, OR area, please let me know in the comments section or by using this blog's email address, survivalofthebook at gmail dot com.

I will do my damnedest to provide a live action report from Portland here on the blog, which will make us bi-coastal, instead of just bicoastal curious.

Thanks!

2 comments:

Christopher said...

cameron's on sw third ave downtown has some gems. (and it looks like someone just dumped a bunch of gide in paperback.)

there's a non-profit feminist bookstore called in other words on n killingsworth st near mlk jr blvd. it has a strong presence in the queer community, as well as some raunchier reading series.

oh! and daedalus books on nw 21st and flanders. it's a used bookstore with great art and music sections.

and what happens here we can definitely make sure stays here. check out 'portland confidential.' apparently we've a history of quiet skeeziness.

iamtheangel.com said...

They say Portland has kind of a hippy vibe; an Oregonian once told me they have a great ecology there and they like to preserve it. And hats off to them for adopting the kyoto protocol!