Friday, August 24, 2007

If I Watched It and an RIP

And now, in another painful pop culture moment, the Goldmans and Denise Brown will be on Oprah to talk about If I Did It. Egads, man. The Goldmans are behind the publication while Denise has publicly called for a boycott, so the show will be a debate.

Am I the only one who just doesn't care? Publish the book, let people gossip and sell papers and magazines and get people to read blogs about it, and it'll all be over within 2 weeks. Right? If anyone buys this book on or after October 5th, I'll be shocked. Unfortunately, I'm not ready to say no one will buy it when it's published, though I won't be in line.



And in an effort to retain even a slight shred of dignity after writing on something so tacky, I'll join the many others in expressing sadness over the death of Grace Paley, a legend, a strong advocate of writers and writing and smart lefty politics, just as comfortable behind a typewriter as under a protest sign.

Grace Paley, RIP
(1922 - 2007)

No comments: