Thursday, June 18, 2009

It was just a matter of time

I knew this would happen. Hell, maybe it's happened before and this is the first I've heard of it.

A classic novel has become twitter fodder:

Two devotees of Ulysses have adapted its 10th chapter to Twitter, which limits users to 140 characters per post.

Called Wandering Rocks, the chapter is especially well-suited to Twitter because it follows 19 Dubliners going about their daily business.


I guess I don't care, really. All's fair. I just don't want to read something in 140 character (not even word!) chunks. But for those of you who do, go nuts.

Georgia Tech prof Ian Bogost has something larger than just novelty in mind: "Perhaps in so doing, we can shift people's interest in social media technologies from egomania and immediacy toward deliberation and cultural reflection."

Some part of me prefers the idea mentioned on Galleycat recently, of creating a twitter feed for a fictional character. I've long appreciated novels that jump off from another classic - such as J. M. Coetzee's powerful and odd Foe, a "reshaping" of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. And this could be where advances can be made incorporating people who love reading with Twitter - Huck Finn's feed, or Holden Caufield's.

Oh, maybe be careful on the latter...

No comments: