Monday, September 29, 2008

Slow return

My apologies for letting the blog go dark, as theatre folks say. I was down in the wonderful Austin, Texas for a family wedding. Have you been? Why not? GO! Trust me, it's a beautiful place.

Anyhow, I don't have time to catch up on much publishing news just now, but I did want to pull a great quote that the good folks at Shelf Awareness alerted readers to in today's email.

In covering the New England Independent Booksellers Association trade show, Melanie Lauwers at the Cape Cod Times opened with this great lede:
Apparently, there's an old saying that in a tough economy, booze and books continue to sell. The former, because people don't stop drinking no matter what, and the latter because books represent a purchase of lasting value, plus you can find anything in the world within the covers of a book — including a new career if you need one.
Very nice - and optimistic. So I offer that up, with a promise to write more very soon. So grab a book and a drink, and don't worry so much about this bail-out.

No comments: