Friday, September 04, 2009

That's it. I quit. Books are dead.

I don't even really know how to respond to this article in this morning's Boston Globe. Read it for yourself and weep...but they have a $12,000 espresso machine! That's pretty good, right?

The only quote and question I have is:

“When I look at books, I see an outdated technology, like scrolls before books,’’ said James Tracy, headmaster of Cushing and chief promoter of the bookless campus. “This isn’t ‘Fahrenheit 451’ [the 1953 Ray Bradbury novel in which books are banned]. We’re not discouraging students from reading. We see this as a natural way to shape emerging trends and optimize technology.’’

Ok, Headmaster Tracy, how many books have you read on a computer screen?

Nice work. Now, I'm going back to bed with the covers pulled over my head...for the whole day.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I suppose this is why we both do the blog - I had a similiar reaction, sitting at the table this morning, looking at that depressing photo of a big empty library with one set of shelves with books all the way in the back. Watch as the student attention spans virtually disappear!

Perhaps I'll try to post something a bit more uplifting later so the holiday weekend isn't ruined entirely, hm? (Curmudgeon!)

Sociable