Thursday, May 21, 2009

So, You Think You'd Make a Good Bookseller?

Hello, dear readers near and far. I have just received word that a extremely close personal friend of mine is going to close up his book store on or by July 31st. "It is time," he told me in an email. His initial thought was to simply shutter the brick and mortar store and make a go of it on the internets and I think that is the way he will go. However, maybe someone out in cyberspace (do we still use that term?) might be interested in a life/career change so I thought I'd send out the word. The store in question has been in business for 34 years and is located in one of the most picturesque New England villages in any of the 6 states of the Northeast. He has a mix of new titles, used books, and rare and collectable volumes as well. It is primarily a used book shop but the shop usually has a large selection of new titles. Now, I realize that July is only a couple of months away but he has agreed to let me post about the availability of the store here on Survival of the Book to see if'n anyone is interested. So, what helps books survive? In this case, it might just be you! If you have ever given any thought to getting into bookselling, this might be the place to start.

I have set up an email address you can use to contact me and I will provide more details as well as the contact information for the store. I look forward to hearing from you...this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get into bookselling with a store that has been active and profitable for nearly 35 years.

Serious inquiries only to:

whowantstobuyabookstore@gmail.com

That is all.

Christopher

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I hope your friend finds a buyer - it would be a shame to close a shop with a history like that. I would offer myself...but bought my own bookstore just 5 months ago. Best of luck!!!

Mary K. from L.A. said...

Oh, I WISH I could. Maybe in a few years, but right now's not the time for me to pull up stakes. Good luck to your friend. I hate to hear of great bookstores closing.

Citizen Reader said...

God I wish I lived in New England!! How dare you tempt me in this way.

Sociable